[GTALUG] Aging Dell monitor (U3011)

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Sat Mar 10 12:02:33 EST 2018

| From: Erich Welz via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| Most DVI cables (single link) max out at 1920x1200.
|
| Older versions of the HDMI spec didn't support above 1920x1200, so that
| could also be suspect.
|
| My guess is the only way to get 2560x1600 out of that monitor is via
| DisplayPort or dual-link DVI cable

Yes.

According to
<http://www.dell.com/ed/business/p/dell-u3011/pd>
the monitor has

	DisplayPort, audio connectors (supports 5.1 channel audio
	connection), two HDMI 1.3 and two DVI-D connectors with
	High-Bandwidth Digital Copy Protection (HDCP).

So the right way of connecting to a T450 should be DisplayPort to
DisplayPort.

A distant second-best way would be an active DisplayPort to dual-link DVI
thingee.  Those are about $100 (although I've scrounged them on Kijiji for
$20).  (I have an even older Dell UltraSharp 3007 which only has dual
link DVI.)

I don't think that a simple DisplayPort to HDMI cable or dongle can
support more than 1920x1200 at 60Hz.  I could be wrong.  But Michael's
experience supports this.

A DP cable should be cheap and easy to acquire.

<https://www.primecables.ca/c-1049-displayport-cables>
(Free shipping on first order over $10)

<http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?cPath=1340_1440_748>

BONUS

If you want to be neo-retro, you can buy an audio amplifier with tubes AND
bluetooth, triggering free shipping, from primecables.

<http://forums.redflagdeals.com/primecablescom-25w-stereo-tube-hybrid-amplifier-usb-bluetooth-115-free-ship-2176890/>