[GTALUG] debian Linux -- Installation DVDs Full Set - Shipped To Canadian Destination ??

Giles Orr gilesorr at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 13:51:58 EST 2018

On 6 March 2018 at 12:16, Lennart Sorensen via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 06, 2018 at 08:56:29AM -0500, Steve Petrie, P.Eng. via talk
> wrote:
> > Thanks to all who have contributed to the discussion.
> >
> > All comments read with great interest.
> >
> > * * *
> > * * *
> >
> > I have been able to use a public-access workstation at my local public
> library branch, to download onto my USB hard drive (WD "Elements" model,
> pre-fomatted with NTFS):
> >   a.. the three debian Linux installation DVD isos;
> >   b.. the System Rescue iso;
> >   c.. the Windows installer .exe for unetbootin;
> > We are allowed to plug in our own USB devices (at least a USB hard drive
> works) to the library's public-access worlstations, and download files over
> the very fast Internet connection there.
> >
> > * * *
> > * * *
> >
> > I had thought that the three (3) DVDs listed on the
> > :
> >    https://cdimage.debian.org/debiabn-cd/current/amd64/iso-dvd/
> >
> > page, were all I needed to get a fairly current debian Linux installed
> on my new PC.
> >
> > But now, with Lennart's comment about 3 BDs versus 13 DVDs, I'm very
> confused.
>
> Debian does not offer downloads of all the images by http.  They tell
> you to use jigdo to download them or bittorrent.  There is a comment on
> the download page where it shows the 3 DVD images about this.
>
> Of course they also say most people will never need the rest of the
> images and should do a network install instead.  This is of course what
> 99.9% of users would do.
>
> On the https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/amd64/iso-dvd/
> page is says:
>
> "Only the first few images are available! Where are the rest?
>
> We don't store/serve the full set of ISO images for all architectures,
> to reduce the amount of space taken up on the mirrors. You can use the
> jigdo tool to recreate the missing ISO images instead."

Unfortunately, you won't be able to run jigdo on the TPL computers.  If
you're running your own laptop on TPL's wireless, you could do this.  But
that won't be as fast as their wired public access machines.  It'll take
literally hours (I'd guess 4-5 hours, but it depends on the branch and
could be worse).

I think the probability of your wanting any software from the fourth
through 13th DVDs is extremely slim, and you shouldn't worry about it.  If
you do need it, that's the stuff you put up with downloading later because
it's actually MORE hassle to get DVDs 4-13 now.  They front-load the most
wanted stuff onto the first three DVDs.

--
Giles
https://www.gilesorr.com/