[GTALUG] debian Linux -- Installation DVDs Full Set - Shipped To Canadian Destination ??

Russell rreiter91 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 21:16:52 EST 2018

On March 5, 2018 4:30:42 PM EST, Antonio Sun via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
> Remember Lennart's comment?
>
>Debian is not 3 DVD images.  It is 14 DVD images or 3 BD images.
>> About 60GB total for the images.
>

>The installation disk *might *be 3 DVD images, then you'll face the
>massive
>update requirement/problem I pointed out earlier, which you need all
>the
>above 14 DVDs to overcome.

No, you would just need to know which files require updates for your needs. Updates are like telephone calls, they don't have to be accepted.

In fact as a general practice, its usually recommended not to update stuff you don't particularly need to use or you don't understand, in order to minimize the chances of breaking something you do understand and use.

>On Mon, Mar 5, 2018 at 11:04 AM, Clifford Ilkay via talk wrote:
>

>> Solution: install at friend's house. Updates are still going to be an
>> issue, though most updates tend not to be more than a few megs.
>>

>Yep, agree, that's the *only *viable/practical choice.
>
>Everything else will give you more trouble than you'd ask for, and no
>one
>can help, because no one does in those ways.

I don't get it, what's so hard about choosing which packages to download opportunistically for later offline installation? dpkg and apt all have query tools to use to sort out dependency issues.

What if he wants to air gap a node of a  trusted network for data security reasons?

Businesses do that sort of thing all the time in order to protect their trade secrets from snoops and scrapes and spooks.

--
Russell