[GTALUG] debian Linux -- Installation DVDs Full Set - ShippedTo Canadian Destination ??

Russell rreiter91 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 09:41:48 EST 2018

On March 4, 2018 8:55:11 AM EST, "Steve Petrie, P.Eng. via talk" <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
>Replies below.
>
>Steve

USB pens have one advantage over CD's, in that it is possible to have a live distro which also has persistent storage on the stick. There are tutorials for linux and I believe a free app for Windows which will set this up for you.

It is possible to use the System Rescue iso as the base for a permanent install to a fixed disk, but the steps are kind of convoluted compared to other live images which provide an install routine.

It may or may not be trivial to place the System Rescue iso on a larger usb pen with persistent storage. At that point, without high speed at home and to save bandwidth, you could make note of required package updates sizes and update small packages over dialup and larger or more numerous correlated packages elsewhere.

Dpkg is the native tool for extracting and installing .deb files. Aptitude is the tool for managing those packages from a central download repository. A short blurb on how Gentoo deals with extracting .deb files may be found here.

https://devmanual.gentoo.org/ebuild-writing/functions/src_unpack/deb-sources/index.html

Of course once your system is installed and working you should get essential update notices while dialed in. You could make note of those you really need and copy them to any portable medium. There is no real need to use a live distro with storage, but this is a real world task which will help you to familiarize yourself with linux filesystems and the tools that go along with it.

>--
>Russell
>---

Russell