[GTALUG] debian Linux -- Installation DVDs Full Set - Shipped To Canadian Destination ??

Antonio Sun tlugys.ats at spamgourmet.com
Sat Mar 3 10:52:45 EST 2018

On Sat, Mar 3, 2018 at 9:44 AM, Steve Petrie P.Eng. wrote:

> >3. I already own two (2) WD 1 TB USB drives, acquired for taking hard
> >disk backups of the new PC. So I'll try using one of those for the
> >debian Linux (LXDE) installation device.
> >
> >4. My friend has a Windows 10 setup with high speed Internet connection
> >so I'll see if he and I can get all three installation DVD images onto
> >that USB drive. We can't use any Linux utilities while doing that,
> >unfortunately. Then I'll try the Linux install from that USB drive.
>
> I know your final target is lxde but the System Rescue iso has a very
> small footprint and it is great for slow connections. I have done it for
> several people in the past and it contains number of very useful tools for
> disk manipulation.

IMO,

- System Rescue iso is good for some one-off hacks e.g. disk manipulation
but not a good way to do Debian Linux Installation.
- Even if you get all three installation DVD images onto that 1TB USB
drive, that may still be a less optimal option as you most probably need
massive update during or right after the installation.

The least-trouble option, contrary to what it seems, is to take your
machine to your friend's place with high speed Internet connection, and do
the initial installation there. All other options just defer the problems,
which you will bump into sooner or later.