[GTALUG] The current state of NFS

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Fri Mar 2 07:56:35 EST 2018

On 03/01/2018 10:15 PM, Giles Orr via talk wrote:
> After a bit more research and thought, It seems that NFS without
> Kerberos isn't secure, and I'm not implementing Kerberos - so I'm not
> implementing NFS.  I was already part way to the hinted at and
> directly proposed solution: rsync-over-ssh for backup, and Read-Only
> SMB for media sharing.  NFS would be more elegant, but without proper
> security its not acceptable to me for my private files.
>
> Thanks to everyone for the responses: it helped me figure out what I
> wanted to do.

This is a bit of an extreme position to take.
If your CSE operating in a Tempest building then there may be reason to
not have any unencrypted data on your network but most home networks run
the preponderance of their traffic unencrypted.
If your that concerned about your private files then you need to be
backing them up to directly connected hardware.

If your looking for a network file system that supports network
encryption take a look at Gluster.
It can be used in a mode where there is no cluster of systems and no
replication on a single server.
Its kind of a waste of all its features but it will work.

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   land:  (905)513-7688
alvin at netvel.net              ||