[GTALUG] debian Linux -- Installation DVDs Full Set - Shipped To Canadian Destination ??

Steve Petrie, P.Eng. apetrie at aspetrie.net
Thu Mar 1 09:28:47 EST 2018

Greetings To GTALUG,

I am starting to order the parts for building a new desktop PC to run debian Linux as primary operating system. Replacing an ancient Dell desktop PC with MS Windows XP.

* * *
* * *

I'm looking for a source for full set of physical debian Linux (LXDE) installation DVDs (NOT a live install, as I understand that Linux does not yet support live install with UEFI).

I need the installation DVDs because I use a very slow telephone-grade dial-up line modem for my Internet connection, so a Linux installation via network is not feasible. (I plan to try to keep using the dial-up line with the new debian Linux PC, at least for the first while. GTALUG advice put me on to the idea of using a USB dial-up modem with Linux.)

Found a U.S.A.-side vendor www.shoplinuxonline.org but am concerned about getting caught in snags with payment / collection of Canadian customs duties, that may be collected by courier delivering to the Canadian address from U.S.A

* * *
* * *

Does anyone know of a Canadian-side online seller of debian Linux (LXDE) DVD installation sets ??

I could potentially beg use of a friend's Windows 10 setup on Bell Fibe, and download the debian Linux LXDE) DVD image files and burn the DVDs myself, but I prefer to avoid the hassle and probable mistakes.

Any thoughts from GTALUG members, on this piddling but potentially messy detail of getting a full set of debian Linux (LXDE) install DVDs, greatly appreciated !!

Best Regards,

Steve