[GTALUG] (OT) home renovation courses for home owner?

o1bigtenor o1bigtenor at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 11:54:15 EDT 2018

On Thu, Jun 28, 2018 at 7:01 AM, Russell Reiter <rreiter91 at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> to others if say someone slips or trips as a result of improper tiling or
> carpeting or if a
> poorly installed cabinet pinches a finger or falls over and someone is hurt
> etc.
>
> Tools are great and great fun if you like building stuff, but don't forget
> the necessary
> instrumentation involved; most important, renovation insurance. You need
> that instrument
> to protect yourself and others.
>
> Believe it or not you need a permit to replace a wired and attached ceiling
> light fixture with a
> chandelier. Most people get away with this kind of stuff "under the rose,"
> because it's not
> a problem until there is a problem.
>
> Once someone who is not part of the family household becomes injured by
> faulty work, if
> you don't have proper insurance, all those cost savings vanish. Lawyers,
> Judges and safety
> inspections cost a lot more than tradesmen.
>
> The law oddly presumes that no right thinking person would be foolish enough
> to put immediate
> family in harms way.
>
> Before starting any work which may affect any building system; heating,
> ventilation, electrical,
> plumbing or the building envelope itself, check you homeowners policy for
> essential liabilities.
>
> Having said all of this, I do not believe there is a general requirement for
> a homeowner to
> have any insurance. It's not like insuring a car, a building is stationary.
> However mortgage
> requirements are pretty strict and since this is a matter of private law,
> the stories of the
> woe's of uninsured renovations gone wrong are buried deep within the legal
> system.
> Although instruments may be attached to your title as a warning that
> something has been
> noted ie: Plan Boundaries Act or Planning Act Statements.
>
> Plan boundaries act may mean your lot easement is not properly described in
> a Common or Attached
> Transfer under part lot control for development. As an example, Planning Act
> Statements as a notation
> on Title means that a Crowns Reservation of Interest regarding, descriptions
> of works on record, which
> change the legal description of the titled property, are subject to
> investigations by the Director of Titles.
>
> As the old saying goes, "its all fun and games until someone gets hurt."
>
> So you can go ahead and install you own casement window, just be aware that
> if it just falls out
> and hurts someone, you are not covered by any insurance, unless you have a
> rider for renovation
> work. Even though you don't need a permit, you do have to have insurance on
> the specific work.
>
> Or deep enough pockets to cover all the liabilities involved.

You bet - -- - don't forget to get that lawyer on retainer for any
issues as well if you're
trying to do something yourself.
If you happen to forget that you MUST feed the bloated miasma of bureaucrats you
will be punished and because you have dared to think of doing
something for yourself
you WILL be punished - - - you deluded fool you.

> sarcasm off

Its funny you know - - - its not that many years ago that it was
considered 'good' to be
able to do for yourself but that just doesn't cause enough work for
the bureaucratic
militia so then that wonderful element of bureaucratium continues its
explosive growth.

If you're going to tackle something and don't have the first clue of
what to do - - - well
either educate yourself or get help and please, purdy please - -- -
don't tell the weasels
about it - - - - they will try to destroy you and your project.

> Insurance - - - imo is there for when something happens that really isn't something I can
mitigate against. More than that - - - well its to make your broker
and your insurance company
rich (see mr. buffett (sp?) if you think I'm out to lunch on that!).

Regards

Dee