[GTALUG] (OT) home renovation courses for home owner?

o1bigtenor o1bigtenor at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 18:28:44 EDT 2018

On Wed, Jun 27, 2018 at 3:16 PM, Peter Hiscocks via talk
<talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
> I did a major reno on my house a few years ago. The deal with my wife was
> that I could buy any power tools that I needed, and I now have a nice
> collection.
>
> This was the front of the house including a large livingroom, hall,
> stairway and front door area. Complete demolition, rewiring, new windows,
> new fireplace, two sets of new stairs.
>
> I did everything except the drywall (hard work and tricky) and the painting.
> We purchased the stair unit. I didn't know how to do trimwork but studied
> the youtube videos and bought some books on it. The result was very
> attractive, but it does require the proper tools and knowledge.

I have found that the public library often has a huge selection of diy books.
Some are useful - - - - some are NOT. It doesn't hurt of have someone
that you know
that has some knowledge function as at least somewhat of an advisor!

> I quite enjoyed it. It took 13 months, including time off for a stupidly
> self-inflicted injury. But I'm retired, it would take a lot longer if you
> were working and could only do evenings and weekends. They call the
> drywall dust 'divorce dust' for a reason.

Pity - - - I could have given you some tips on how to severely reduce
said stuff.
Learnt helping a few buds doing their renos and partially from a
'plasterer' ticketed
father. There are some tricks to reducing the amount of dust generated!

Oh yes - - - tools are wonderful things!!

Regards

Dee