[GTALUG] (OT) home renovation courses for home owner?

phiscock at ee.ryerson.ca phiscock at ee.ryerson.ca
Wed Jun 27 16:16:28 EDT 2018

I did a major reno on my house a few years ago. The deal with my wife was
that I could buy any power tools that I needed, and I now have a nice
collection.

This was the front of the house including a large livingroom, hall,
stairway and front door area. Complete demolition, rewiring, new windows,
new fireplace, two sets of new stairs.

I did everything except the drywall (hard work and tricky) and the painting.
We purchased the stair unit. I didn't know how to do trimwork but studied
the youtube videos and bought some books on it. The result was very
attractive, but it does require the proper tools and knowledge.

I quite enjoyed it. It took 13 months, including time off for a stupidly
self-inflicted injury. But I'm retired, it would take a lot longer if you
were working and could only do evenings and weekends. They call the
drywall dust 'divorce dust' for a reason.

Peter