[GTALUG] Aggressive and Underhanded?

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Tue Jun 12 13:39:20 EDT 2018

I guess it depends on what you consider "email relay"

For LPI's outgoing mail. we use mailman and OpenEMM for anything other than
one-to-a-few personal communications.

For the SMTP relay we use Sparkpost.

This is a combination of self-hosted open source solutions combined with a
trusted cloud service owned by neither G nor M nor A.

- Evan

On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 at 02:05, ac via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> Hey Everyone,
>
> I was wondering whether I am the only one noticing that Google and
> Microsoft has become increasingly aggressive and underhanded in their
> email operations?
>
> I noticed the trend a few years ago already and have been watching for
> new patterns and collecting millions upon millions of spam emails
>
> Microsoft and Google is dominating email relay and their market share
> in the geo areas where they dominate, has steadily increased each year.
>
> recently there has been more changes
>
> Both monopolies are now using more and more complex email headers.
>
> Both Microsoft and Google have become more aggressive, more dominating
> and seemingly less ethical in their behaviors.
>
> Google has apparently moved their back end mail servers to private ipv6
> ranges and are pumping emails out, spam and ham, through ipv4. Google
> has also become non responsive to abuse complaints. Microsoft also now
> uses ipv6 but at least uses public ipv6, with abuse information but is
> also 'allowing' spam and abuse to be relayed in much higher numbers.
>
> Bot of these (Microsoft and Google) are now relaying for criminals,
> normal spam, pump end dump rubbish as well as ham, from the same public
> ipv4 numbers.
>
> The result of this new aggressive push is declining quality of email
> service for smaller providers - as ham is marked as spam more
> frequently.
>
> They  (Microsoft and Google) are using their sheer size to bully out
> more market share and if the trend continues there will be no more
> 'independent' email providers in the near future as more and more
> providers are forced to run their email services through one of the two
> monopolies.
>
> Anyone else noticed the more aggressive system designs, more aggressive
> non responsiveness to abuse complaints and other non ethical behaviors?
> And, is there anything that general society can even do?
>
> If there are only two email providers in the future, how long will it
> take before there is just one?
>
> Andre

Evan Leibovitch, Toronto Canada
@evanleibovitch or @el56