[GTALUG] Aggressive and Underhanded?

o1bigtenor o1bigtenor at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 06:50:38 EDT 2018

On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 1:05 AM, ac via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
> Hey Everyone,
>
> I was wondering whether I am the only one noticing that Google and
> Microsoft has become increasingly aggressive and underhanded in their
> email operations?
>
> I noticed the trend a few years ago already and have been watching for
> new patterns and collecting millions upon millions of spam emails
>
> Microsoft and Google is dominating email relay and their market share
> in the geo areas where they dominate, has steadily increased each year.
>
> recently there has been more changes
>
> Both monopolies are now using more and more complex email headers.
>
> Both Microsoft and Google have become more aggressive, more dominating
> and seemingly less ethical in their behaviors.
>
> Google has apparently moved their back end mail servers to private ipv6
> ranges and are pumping emails out, spam and ham, through ipv4. Google
> has also become non responsive to abuse complaints. Microsoft also now
> uses ipv6 but at least uses public ipv6, with abuse information but is
> also 'allowing' spam and abuse to be relayed in much higher numbers.
>
> Bot of these (Microsoft and Google) are now relaying for criminals,
> normal spam, pump end dump rubbish as well as ham, from the same public
> ipv4 numbers.
>
> The result of this new aggressive push is declining quality of email
> service for smaller providers - as ham is marked as spam more
> frequently.
>
> They  (Microsoft and Google) are using their sheer size to bully out
> more market share and if the trend continues there will be no more
> 'independent' email providers in the near future as more and more
> providers are forced to run their email services through one of the two
> monopolies.
>
> Anyone else noticed the more aggressive system designs, more aggressive
> non responsiveness to abuse complaints and other non ethical behaviors?
> And, is there anything that general society can even do?
>
> If there are only two email providers in the future, how long will it
> take before there is just one?

It won't move to just one provider - - - my guess is that there is
enough cross ownership
private and possibly even with a private memorandum of agreement so
that they will
snipe at each other officially but will continue to work until they
have world dominance.
Then - - - who knows.

It is interesting that you mention this as what I have been noticing
is that between
the two mentioned and crackbook and amazon - - - they truly believe
that they collectively
own our on-line lives - -  and they do. They use that ownership to
make billions for themselves
and will continue to add to their 'ownership'. There no longer is an
effective way to slow
them never mind to stop them! There is a possibility that this group
would also include
alibaba but that's not as clear, at least at this point!

Regards

Dee