[GTALUG] server questions - - help needed

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso at utoronto.ca
Mon Jun 4 08:13:32 EDT 2018

On 03/06/18 15:47, o1bigtenor via talk wrote:
> So I am trying to determine what may have caused the system to do a
> reboot, whilst I have my suspicions I want to figure out exactly what
> is happening to cause this kind of behavior. AIUI servers should be
> able to run happily for years without issues (barring hardware
> problems) so I want that kind of reliability. Where in /var/log will I
> be finding the most clues as to the events that lead up to this
> 'reboot'?

Most servers from the big vendors will have an out of band (aka lights
out) management interface. Tools like freeIPMI let you control the
physical host - like remote serial console, chassis power control etc.

Does yours have this feature? Usually hardware issues show up in a log
there - things like power supply issues, CPU overheat conditions etc.

If you don't have one, I highly recommend looking into whether your
server supports an add-on out of band management card

Cheers, Jamon