[GTALUG] server questions - - help needed

Clifford Ilkay cilkay at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 20:05:36 EDT 2018

On Sun, Jun 3, 2018 at 3:47 PM, o1bigtenor via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> [snip]
> So I am trying to determine what may have caused the system to do a
> reboot, whilst I have my suspicions I want to figure out exactly what
> is happening to cause this kind of behavior.

Do you have a UPS on that machine? If not, did you have a power
interruption that was brief enough that it would not have reset the clocks
at your place but long enough to cause the server to reboot? Has that
machine been spontaneously rebooting recently? That's usually an indication
of a hardware problem. I've had machines reboot spontaneously because:

* the CPU fan and heat sink was too clogged with dust to work effectively,
* the thermal paste had deteriorated and was no longer effective,
* a power supply fan bearing had seized so the power supply's thermal
protection kicked in to prevent damage to the components,
* the hard disk drive was defective.

This is by no means an exhaustive list. What do you suspect?

By the way, I don't understand why long up times are considered to be some
sort of badge of honour. If you're doing regular updates even with very
conservative distributions, like CentOS or Debian stable, you're going to
have to reboot your server due to kernel updates at least every few months.

Regards,

Clifford Ilkay

+1 647-778-8696