[GTALUG] Specific question about mailing list management

Myles Braithwaite 👾 me at mylesb.ca
Wed Jul 25 10:04:13 EDT 2018

Evan Leibovitch via talk wrote on 2018-07-25 12:30 AM:
> Hi all.
>
> This question is asked of anyone who administers a mailing list about
> policies. I'm setting up a campaign-based mailing system using phplist
> (as opposed to a forum-type MLM such as Mailman) and I'm interested to
> know what policies or best practices you might have in place to address
> this specific question:
>
> When a list subscriber goes to a link to change their preferences or
> unsubscribe, from what email address does the confirmation (for changes)
> or "sorry to see you go" message (for unsubscriptions) originate.
>
> Does such administrative email come from:
> a) an identifiable member or the organization's staff?
> b) a postmaster-type alias?
> c) a do-not-reply address?
>
> ​Any feedback is appreciated.​

I use the email that has been sending the campaign in the first place.
Most email clients priorities the name over the subject so I might not
recognize postmaster at company.com or do-no-reply at exmaple.com, but I would
recognize John Smith because they are have been sending me email about a
widget.