[GTALUG] Specific question about mailing list management

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Wed Jul 25 09:56:11 EDT 2018

It was over a year ago and I believe that it was a case of someone who
could not follow the unsubscribe message at the bottom or did not read
that far and pushed the message to one of the RBL providers.

Another hint is to stick something in the mail message that will not get
scrubbed by anonamizers if someone does post to an RBL.
At least you can then find the offending client and remove them.
Its a pain to have someone on your list that is pushing your messages to
RBLs and not be able to remove them because the information you got from
the RBL has all the usual tracking information removed.

On 07/25/2018 09:48 AM, ac via talk wrote:
> Hi Alvin,
>
> long time :)
>
> Have you been black listed by an RBL for a mailing list sending
> verification emails?
>
> On Wed, 25 Jul 2018 09:26:04 -0400
> Alvin Starr via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
>
>> Another thing is to make sure you have a valid email address by
>> sending an activation message.
>> Lots of people will provide bogus addresses either deliberately or
>> accidentally.
>> You also need to monitor your outgoing email or track the bounce
>> backs for email addresses that go away.
>>
>> One of the problems you will face is that conventional wisdom is that
>> responding to an un-subscribe button is just a way that the spammers
>> validate your email address.
>> Also People will just tag the messages as spam causing you to get
>> black-listed.
>>
>> Every few years I get blacklisted because I have someone running a
>> small mail-list related to a Knitting e-commerce web site.
>> The site admin is a good friend and I know they are very careful
>> about the mail addresses in the list but bad emails still leak in.
>>

>> On 07/25/2018 02:06 AM, ac via talk wrote:
>>> Hi Evan,
>>>
>>> The quick answer is that there is no agreement on best practise for
>>> unsub messages, the amount of verification (and time span of) and a
>>> number of other abuse related issues.
>>>
>>> Here is what I personally (wrongly or correctly) do:
>>> Subscription (Opt in message / Confirm email message - 1 per day max
>>> three days)
>>> Unsubscribe - no message - just unsubscribe
>>>
>>> never send any email from noreply@  I am not Google or Microsoft
>>> (and even the dentist around the corner is now doing that *sigh*)
>>>
>>> When subscriber does anything on a link (Web) - send a confirm your
>>> request email
>>>
>>> hth
>>>
>>> Andre

>>> ---
>>> Talk Mailing List
>>> talk at gtalug.org

Alvin Starr                   ||   land:  (905)513-7688
alvin at netvel.net              ||