[GTALUG] Web hosting companies providing Linux shell accounts?

Giles Orr gilesorr at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 13:01:17 EDT 2018

On 19 July 2018 at 12:05, Stewart C. Russell via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 19, 2018, 11:01 David Ing isss--- via talk, <talk at gtalug.org
> <mailto:talk at gtalug.org>> wrote:
>
>     Karen,
>
>     In November 2016, I had changed shared hosting companies.  My search
>     is described at
>     https://www.quora.com/Whats-a-good-Canadian-web-hosting-provider .
>

> Can you summarize here, please? Quora blocks content unless you're a
> registered user.
>
> A mostly thumbs-down from me for 1and1, even though I've used them for
> 15 years. They do have Linux shell access, but my complaint is more
> about their use of https certificates as a cash cow: you get one per
> account, linked to one domain. Further certificates cost money, and they
> actively block Let's Encrypt usage.
>
>  Stewart
>
> (accidentally sent that last one off-list)

Blocking Let's Encrypt gets them on my shit-list from now until the end of
time.  NOT impressed.

Karen, it's sounding like you have many, many choices.  I'm going to add
one more plus some details.

Cloud machine providers are a dime a dozen these days ... Hmm, old and
inaccurate expression.  More correct to say $5/month at the bottom end.
Old-style hosting providers are cheaper, but much less flexible.  With
DigitalOcean (which I use both at work and at home and have been very happy
with) you can spin up a new virtual machine with the click of a button, and
it's ready in about one minute.  They currently offer Ubuntu, Debian,
Fedora, CentOS, and FreeBSD (they also have container distros - ie. for
Docker and friends - but that's probably not useful to you).  Once the
machine is running, you can install any software you want - you have full
administrative access on the machine, unlike normal hosting providers.

If cost isn't a concern, I'd recommend a cloud infrastructure provider like
D.O. over an old-style hosting provider for flexibility.  And you don't
have to go with D.O. - there are lots of companies in that space doing
exactly the same kind of thing.  But I'd start with Bob Jonkman's
suggestion of sdf.org as first go, because "free" is a pretty good price.

--
Giles
https://www.gilesorr.com/
gilesorr at gmail.com