[GTALUG] Web hosting companies providing Linux shell accounts?

Stewart C. Russell scruss at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 12:05:27 EDT 2018

On Thu, Jul 19, 2018, 11:01 David Ing isss--- via talk, <talk at gtalug.org
<mailto:talk at gtalug.org>> wrote:

    Karen,

    In November 2016, I had changed shared hosting companies.  My search
    is described at
    https://www.quora.com/Whats-a-good-Canadian-web-hosting-provider .

Can you summarize here, please? Quora blocks content unless you're a
registered user.

A mostly thumbs-down from me for 1and1, even though I've used them for
15 years. They do have Linux shell access, but my complaint is more
about their use of https certificates as a cash cow: you get one per
account, linked to one domain. Further certificates cost money, and they
actively block Let's Encrypt usage.

 Stewart

(accidentally sent that last one off-list)