[GTALUG] Web hosting companies providing Linux shell accounts?

Alex Beamish talexb at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 08:52:32 EDT 2018

On Wed, Jul 18, 2018 at 8:56 PM Karen Lewellen via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
wrote:

> Hi All,
> The organization for whom I work presently has a shared hosting account
> with dreamhost.  Recently though they made a change that prevents me from
> accessing my work shell account with the combination of adaptive
> technology tools I must use.
> so, I am seeking a new hosting that includes shell accounts with their
> offerings,  Dreamhost used Ubuntu, but I have done this with freebsd as
> well.
> Ideas of where to start?

I've been with pair.com for close to twenty years. and I've use this
company for hosted websites, as well as a testbed for scripts I want to try
our remotely. They're located in Pittsburgh, PA.

  https://www.pair.com/webhosting/shared.html

They have a variety of plans -- I have one that gives me shell access,
because I love the command line. They are currently running FreeBSD
10.4-RELEASE-p9.

--
Alex Beamish

Software Developer / https://ca.linkedin.com/in/alex-beamish-5111ba3
Speaker Wrangler, Toronto Perlmongers / http://to.pm.org/
Baritone, Board Member, Toronto Northern Lights, 2013 Champions /
www.northernlightschorus.com
Certified Contest Administrator, Barbershop Harmony Society /
www.barbershop.org