[GTALUG] Thermal paste availability / Raising the dead

Alex Beamish talexb at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 19:09:05 EDT 2018

On Sun, Jul 8, 2018 at 6:59 PM William Park via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 08, 2018 at 05:40:05PM -0400, Anthony de Boer via talk wrote:
> > Alex Beamish via talk wrote:
> > > There are, however, still a few files on the dead system I'd like to
> get.
> > > Today I took that system apart, popped the fan off the CPU, and found
> dried
> > > thermal paste. Hmm.
> >
> > A better bet if you're just trying to recover files is to get an
> > appropriate USB external enclosure for the old system's storage device,
> > put them together, and plug into your new system for review and copying.
>
> Or, just move the harddisk to the current machine.

I would have done that already, but the system I'm using now has compact
power plugs, and the previous has the old style four conductor power plugs
-- otherwise, I wouldn't have bothered the list with this question.

--
Alex Beamish

Software Developer / https://ca.linkedin.com/in/alex-beamish-5111ba3
Speaker Wrangler, Toronto Perlmongers / http://to.pm.org/
Baritone, Board Member, Toronto Northern Lights, 2013 Champions /
www.northernlightschorus.com
Certified Contest Administrator, Barbershop Harmony Society /
www.barbershop.org