[GTALUG] Thermal paste availability / Raising the dead

Anthony de Boer adb at adb.ca
Sun Jul 8 17:40:05 EDT 2018

Alex Beamish via talk wrote:
> There are, however, still a few files on the dead system I'd like to get.
> Today I took that system apart, popped the fan off the CPU, and found dried
> thermal paste. Hmm.

A better bet if you're just trying to recover files is to get an
appropriate USB external enclosure for the old system's storage device,
put them together, and plug into your new system for review and copying.

If the old system still has life in it, it should be attempting to boot
from cold start and getting at least a bit of the way down the road
before overheating and refusing to continue; in that case fresh thermal
grease might work wonders.  Blow dust bunnies out of the CPU and PSU fans
and watch that they both spin; replace if not.  But there's a good chance
the old box is pining for the fjords.

--
Anthony de Boer