[GTALUG] Thermal paste availability / Raising the dead

Alex Beamish talexb at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 15:03:34 EDT 2018

My main system stopped booting two weeks ago, so had to move back to my
previous system. Fortunately, a lot of my stuff was in Dropbox, so after a
decent interval, many of my files were available on the previous machine.
Yay Dropbox.

There are, however, still a few files on the dead system I'd like to get.
Today I took that system apart, popped the fan off the CPU, and found dried
thermal paste. Hmm.

It's possible that the CPU might be cooked (I was away during the Final
Crash), but on the off chance that it just over-heated and shut down (does
that even happen?), I know I need to clean off the old thermal paste
(Q-tips and rubbing alcohol) and apply new. Strap the fan back on, power up
and see if it boots.

Best Buy only ships this on-line, and Canada Computes doesn't seem to stock
it. Can anyone comment on where they get thermal paste? I could wait for
delivery, but it would be great just to get the stuff and move on.

Thanks for your feedback!

--
Alex Beamish

Software Developer / https://ca.linkedin.com/in/alex-beamish-5111ba3
Speaker Wrangler, Toronto Perlmongers / http://to.pm.org/
Baritone, Board Member, Toronto Northern Lights, 2013 Champions /
www.northernlightschorus.com
Certified Contest Administrator, Barbershop Harmony Society /
www.barbershop.org