[GTALUG] Fetchmail and Office365 and backslashes, oh my!

Stewart C. Russell scruss at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 05:26:44 EDT 2018

On 2018-07-04 02:53 PM, Peter King via talk wrote:
> Recently we were forcibly "migrated" to Office365 for our email services,
> and with the change numerous things were broken.

You might not be able to. I have a newish O365 account that staunchly
refuses to use any protocol but MS Exchange. POP3 or IMAP at best
timeout, but feed the same credentials into any exchange/outlook client
and I'm in.

I've also noticed in the main O365 account I pay for, plus a couple set
up for me by past consultancies, was that my login ID was always an
@office365.com, @live.ca (!) or some other MS-owned domain. I could
merrily send and receive e-mail under the company domain, but the
credentials were always at the same domain.

Unpopular opinion: Outlook is the best e-mail client. In many technical
and UX aspects it may be the worst, but it is how corporate e-mail is
done, and that's that.

 Stewart