[GTALUG] Fetchmail and Office365 and backslashes, oh my!

Peter King peter.king at utoronto.ca
Wed Jul 4 14:53:03 EDT 2018

Recently we were forcibly "migrated" to Office365 for our email services,
and with the change numerous things were broken.  One of the last things
I cannot figure out how to solve is how to pass an alias email address to
the MS server.  So in .fetchmailrc I have a line like this:

user "prof.bozo at utoronto.ca\department.chair at utoronto.ca"  there with password "XYZZY" is bozo here

But this fails, and in the fetchmail logfiles it represents the username as
not having a backslash:

Jul  4 14:35:14 fetchmail[13829]: IMAP> A0002 LOGIN "prof.bozo at utoronto.camedieval.philosophy@utoronto.ca" *
Jul  4 14:35:14 fetchmail[13829]: IMAP< A0002 NO LOGIN failed.
Jul  4 14:35:14 fetchmail[13829]: IMAP> A0003 LOGOUT

If I double-backslash it, though, I get a double backslash in the username.
Ditto for triple, quadruple, and quintuple backslashes.  Nor does it work
if I single-quote the backslash.

According to the fetchmail manual, the backslash is used to communicate via
ASCII sequences and codes with fetchmail, and it's pretty clear that this
is part of the problem.

Google turned up a few people with the same problem, but they seemed to
have their problems (from 7+ years ago) fixed by multiple backslashes,
which clearly aren't working for me.

Any ideas?  Our local people maintaining the MS Office365 nonsense dont'
support fetchmail and are not interested in helping ...

Peter King			 	peter.king at utoronto.ca
Department of Philosophy
170 St. George Street #521
The University of Toronto		   (416)-978-3311 dept
Toronto, ON  M5R 2M8
       CANADA

http://individual.utoronto.ca/pking/

GPG keyID 0x7587EC42 (2B14 A355 46BC 2A16 D0BC  36F5 1FE6 D32A 7587 EC42)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 7587EC42