[GTALUG] How to go fast without speculating... maybe

Stewart Russell scruss at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 10:21:10 EST 2018

On 31 January 2018 at 09:38, Lennart Sorensen via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
wrote:

> If you like an ARM laptop, this is coming soon:
> https://www.asus.com/ca-en/2-in-1-PCs/ASUS-NovaGo-TP370QL/
>
> I wonder how long it will take after release before someone has Linux
> installed on one.

There's also the very very cheap Pinebook64 at $100 US. I've played with
one: they're built better than they should be for such a cheap machine, but
like all Raspberry Pi-wannabe boards, the kernel and graphics support leave
much to be desired. Pinebooks were briefly popular from the Amiga emulation
crowd (yes, I've been in a room with enough of 'em recently that they can
still muster a crowd) who have recently moved on from spending $X,0000 on
Qoriq (Power) boards to looking at ARM.

> The Lemote laptops were Loongson based, so MIPS laptops have existed.

Briefly beloved by RMS because they were so open, but painfully slow, and
who knew how backdoored in the silicon.

Apart from a 8-core MIPS64 server I saw on Taobao, outside of routers Linux
on MIPS lives on in the Onion Omega2, a tiny IOT thing nominally developed
out of Markham. It's not much of a Linux computer - 580 MHz MediaTek
MT7688, 128 MB RAM, 32 MB flash in the *plus* version - but they're cheap
and actually do what they promise, unlike those horrid Intel IOT things
from a few years back.

cheers,
 Stewart