[GTALUG] Getting external IP

Don Tai dontai.canada at gmail.com
Sat Jan 27 15:03:56 EST 2018

I have wanted to know how to do this but never had the reason. My first
inclination is to write a shell script in a loop. You can control the
timing and save results to a file if necessary. Here's the command that
seems to work

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/22615/how-can-i-get-my-external-ip-address-in-a-shell-script

dig +short myip.opendns.com @resolver1.opendns.com

It seems to work. I usually check my ip using a google search. For a
faster response you could find the RoBeUs dns server.

Post up your script if you write one.

Don