[GTALUG] Meltdown disclosure [was Re: Intel Meltdown Bug -- Conundrum For New Desktop PC Build Spec (to run debian Linux) -- Switch From Intel CPU To AMD CPU ??]

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Tue Jan 9 14:33:47 EST 2018

| From: David Collier-Brown via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| On 09/01/18 12:23 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:
| > In fact, the first news broke because an AMD patch to the kernel
| > spilled the beans.  The AMD patch turned off the already present
| > mitigation for Meltdown in the case of AMD processors.
| > -
|
| Erk!  Can you point us to a description this? It seem slightly pessimal (;-))

I think that this posting to the Linux Kernel Mailing List is
considered to have let the cat out of the bag for Meltdown.

<https://lkml.org/lkml/2017/12/27/2>

The problem had been "responsibly disclosed" about half a year before
to folks considered responsible (i.e. not us).

I'm not 100% comfortable with "responsible disclosure".  Especially
with half a year lead time.