[GTALUG] Intel Meltdown Bug -- Conundrum For New Desktop PC Build Spec (to run debian Linux) -- Switch From Intel CPU To AMD CPU ??

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Tue Jan 9 14:10:58 EST 2018

| From: Clifford Ilkay via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| By the way, I don't see the point of doing a new build with a CPU that is
| four generations old and with only 16GB that ends up costing $1600+. You
| could purchase a refurbished, off-lease workstation of that vintage for
| about a quarter of the price with more RAM. It would not likely have an SSD
| but you could always add one if you really wanted to.

I really agree with this.

Here, for example, is a reasonable off-lease "business class" computer
from a reputable dealer:

<https://www.dellrefurbished.ca/desktop-computers?filter_memory=79&filter_processor_brand=357>

$429 for an i5-4570 with 16G of RAM

<https://www.dellrefurbished.ca/desktop-computers?filter_processor_brand=357>

a whole bunch to chose from, with most with less RAM and lower prices.

Note: Dell Refurbished have a sale times a year with significant
discounts.  Perhaps three times since you configured your system on PC
partspicker.

Their stock comes and goes.  Right now is probably a low considering
the Boxing Day sale they had.

If you are daring, knowledgeable, and patient, there are better deal on
Kijiji or ebay, for example.

For example, the box I'm typing this on came from Staples via ebay.  I
paid about $650 (including taxes and shipping) for a refurb Haswell i7
system with 12G of RAM and a discrete graphics card. This was 3.5 years
ago.