[GTALUG] Intel Meltdown Bug -- Conundrum For New Desktop PC Build Spec (to run debian Linux) -- Switch From Intel CPU To AMD CPU ??

Clifford Ilkay cilkay at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 19:56:26 EST 2018

The Spectre vulnerability affects AMD and ARM processors, too, apparently.
See: <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectre_(security_vulnerability)>. That
isn't the only place I've read that. Modern CPUs are very complex and their
inner workings are proprietary so how likely is it that AMD CPUs don't have
this or other equally bad vulnerabilities? We are only seeing the tip of
the iceberg. GPUs and other components, like the BIOS are likely to have
quite severe vulnerabilities that we don't know about, yet.

By the way, I don't see the point of doing a new build with a CPU that is
four generations old and with only 16GB that ends up costing $1600+. You
could purchase a refurbished, off-lease workstation of that vintage for
about a quarter of the price with more RAM. It would not likely have an SSD
but you could always add one if you really wanted to.

Regards,

Clifford Ilkay

+1 647-778-8696