[GTALUG] pip for Python3 installation issues on macOS (was python sweetness — The mysterious case of the Linux Page Table)

Russell rreiter91 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 09:11:28 EST 2018

On January 5, 2018 8:59:13 AM EST, "Myles Braithwaite 👾 via talk" <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
>R360 Design INC via talk wrote:
>> Hi, Was wondering if we could squeeze in a question about Python
>> installation on OS X on this thread:
>>
>> To set up Python on Mac, we were advised to install the latest
>version
>> of Python 3.6.4 and PIP3 (According to the Hitchhiker's Guide to
>> Python http://docs.python-guide.org/en/latest/starting/install3/osx/)
>> . The installation folder is:
>>
>> MacBook-Pro: which python3
>> /usr/local/bin/python3
>>

>> However, when we checked the package list, the packages are still
>> pointed at the Python 2.7 packages folder (the native version of
>> Python that ships with Mac). Is this correct or we need to re-install
>> the packages for Python 3.6.4 using PIP3?
>>
>> MacBook-Pro:bin owner$ pip3 show pandas
>> Name: pandas
>> Version: 0.22.0
>> Author: The PyData Development Team
>> Author-email: pydata at googlegroups.com
>> License: BSD
>> Location:
>/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/pandas-0.22.0-py2.7-macosx-10.12-intel.egg
>> Requires: numpy, python-dateutil, pytz
>> MacBook-Pro:bin owner$ pip3 show six
>> Name: six
>> Version: 1.11.0
>> Author: Benjamin Peterson
>> Author-email: benjamin at python.org
>> License: MIT
>> Location: /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages
>
>What does `pip3 --version` and `python3 -m pip show pip` show you?
>
>As an example mine shows:
>
>```
>$ pip3 --version
>pip 9.0.1 from /usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages (python 3.6)
>
>$ python3 -m pip show pip
>Name: pip
>Version: 9.0.1
>Author: The pip developers
>Author-email: python-virtualenv at groups.google.com
>License: MIT
>Location: /usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages
>Requires:
>```
>
>I think pip for Python3 wasn't installed correctly. You might want to
>try reinstalled pip, <https://pip.pypa.io/en/stable/installing/> with
>python3.
>
>Also it's generally best practice when replying to a thread in a
>mailing
>list with a new topic to change the subject like I did above. It helps
>the archiving of the mailing list so people can better browse.

I'm not particularly familiar with OS-X but you also could check out these links. Homebrew apparently handles package management for easy upgrades.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/17271319/how-do-i-install-pip-on-macos-or-os-x

http://docs.python-guide.org/en/latest/starting/install3/osx/#install3-osx
>---
>Talk Mailing List