[GTALUG] pip for Python3 installation issues on macOS (was python sweetness — The mysterious case of the Linux Page Table)

Myles Braithwaite 👾 me at mylesb.ca
Fri Jan 5 08:59:13 EST 2018

R360 Design INC via talk wrote:
> Hi, Was wondering if we could squeeze in a question about Python
> installation on OS X on this thread:
>
> To set up Python on Mac, we were advised to install the latest version
> of Python 3.6.4 and PIP3 (According to the Hitchhiker's Guide to
> Python http://docs.python-guide.org/en/latest/starting/install3/osx/)
> . The installation folder is:
>
> MacBook-Pro: which python3
> /usr/local/bin/python3
>

> However, when we checked the package list, the packages are still
> pointed at the Python 2.7 packages folder (the native version of
> Python that ships with Mac). Is this correct or we need to re-install
> the packages for Python 3.6.4 using PIP3?
>
> MacBook-Pro:bin owner$ pip3 show pandas
> Name: pandas
> Version: 0.22.0
> Author: The PyData Development Team
> Author-email: pydata at googlegroups.com
> License: BSD
> Location: /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/pandas-0.22.0-py2.7-macosx-10.12-intel.egg
> Requires: numpy, python-dateutil, pytz
> MacBook-Pro:bin owner$ pip3 show six
> Name: six
> Version: 1.11.0
> Author: Benjamin Peterson
> Author-email: benjamin at python.org
> License: MIT
> Location: /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages

What does `pip3 --version` and `python3 -m pip show pip` show you?

As an example mine shows:

```
$ pip3 --version
pip 9.0.1 from /usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages (python 3.6)

$ python3 -m pip show pip
Name: pip
Version: 9.0.1
Author: The pip developers
Author-email: python-virtualenv at groups.google.com
License: MIT
Location: /usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages
Requires:
```

I think pip for Python3 wasn't installed correctly. You might want to
try reinstalled pip, <https://pip.pypa.io/en/stable/installing/> with
python3.

Also it's generally best practice when replying to a thread in a mailing
list with a new topic to change the subject like I did above. It helps
the archiving of the mailing list so people can better browse.