[GTALUG] python sweetness — The mysterious case of the Linux Page Table

Russell rreiter91 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 11:51:28 EST 2018

On January 4, 2018 11:22:05 AM EST, lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca wrote:
>On Thu, Jan 04, 2018 at 12:54:50AM -0500, Russell via talk wrote:
>> For a problem like this one and given it's scope and complexity, it
>is premature to downplay the core and it's overhead issue. This is not
>like in the movies where the producer says, it's not a problem, we can
>fix it in POST. This is a preproduction issue with the actors.
>>
>> If you want to get all biological about pathology. The pathology of
>this problem is far from well understood. Finding the proper namespace
>is important.
>>
>> At Linus's request KAISER has been dropped. However fuckwit
>(Forcefully Unmap Complete Kernel With Interrupt Trampolines, ) has not
>been adopted, by most people anyway.
>>
>> https://lkml.org/lkml/2017/12/4/709
>
>Well code I see committed in the kernel uses pti_ for the functions,
>so seems they settled on page table isolation.  It was previously
>suggesting kpti for kernel page table isolation but I guess the kernel
>bit was deemed redundant.

Linus had strong words for Intel yesterday.

https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/1/3/797

Takes a lot of muscle to strongARM lassez fair manufacturing into opening up their proprietary process's. On the other hand it is valid to say; at least I should be able to configure this process and engage mitigation in setting boundaries.

It's going to be an interesting new year, no doubt about that.

--
Russell