[GTALUG] python sweetness — The mysterious case of the Linux Page Table

Russell Reiter rreiter91 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 3 23:59:13 EST 2018

On January 3, 2018 10:56:30 PM EST, Dhaval Giani <dhaval.giani at gmail.com>
wrote:

https://googleprojectzero.blogspot.ca/2018/01/reading-privileged-memory-with-side.html
>gives the gory details
>
>At this point, I cannot stress on how important it is to update your
>systems as soon as your distribution ships them. I am hoping this
>remains to be a once in a lifetime event.

I admire your optimism. To me it looks like this is a kind of example of
feeping creaturisim in hypervisor's; not necessarily an easy patch.

The idea of the necessity of some sort of kernel isolation has been around
for quite a while. In part as a response to the ease with which userland
interpreters can polute kernelspace.

https://lwn.net/Articles/39283/

I've read that some of the proposed solutions could add as much as a 30%
operational overhead. Not much of an issue for average home users but for
enterprise this could be a real game changer.

Like finding out the real cost, in energy consumption, of a Bitcoin
transaction, is converging with the real costs of maintaining a paper
currency.