[GTALUG] PC build recommendation

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Wed Feb 28 13:25:58 EST 2018

| From: Lennart Sorensen via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| Looking at their drivers, the ones I checked were all intel wifi and
| realtek gigabit.

My zboxes use Realtek gigabit ethernet.

I know that those in the know prefer Intel but I'm not up to speed on
why.

I'll give you a why not: Intel ethernet seems to collude with Intel
Management Engine to provide "lights out management".  This works
without involving the main processor and thus without involving your
system's own firewall.  In other words, you have a big gaping security
hole that is very hard to plug (or even assess).

Many years ago, DEC Tulip ethernet chips were considered a Good Thing.
I think that Realtek's ethernet chips are descendants.