[GTALUG] The current state of NFS

Alex Beamish talexb at gmail.com
Sun Feb 25 22:46:49 EST 2018

On Sat, Feb 24, 2018 at 10:50 AM, Anthony de Boer via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
wrote:

> Giles Orr via talk wrote:
> > I used to use NFS back in 2000 - back when we still thought unsecured
> local
> > services were okay.  And I loved it - it was slow, but very useful.  So
> I'd
> > like to start using it again, but I want it secured.  ...
>
> You might want to look at sshfs instead.  This is a nifty thing that
> uses SSH, SFTP, and FUSE to let you mount storage from a remote box
> that you have SSH access to.  Linux even lets non-root users do this in
> a way that makes the mount not exist for any other user.  And since any
> user can look at the man page and just do it, there's far less hassle
> for the sysadmin to set up.  And you don't have to open any new holes
> besides the already-well-tested SSH daemon.

I've used sshfs for a few years, and it's wonderful -- I can edit (what
appears to be) locally, and Everything Just Works. Use

  sshfs user at domain:/path/to/Directory local_mountpoint

to connect, and

  fusermount -u local_mountpoint

to disconnect.

--
Alex Beamish

Software Developer / https://ca.linkedin.com/in/alex-beamish-5111ba3
Speaker Wrangler, Toronto Perlmongers / http://to.pm.org/
Baritone, Board Member, Toronto Northern Lights, 2013 Champions /
www.northernlightschorus.com
Certified Contest Administrator, Barbershop Harmony Society /
www.barbershop.org