[GTALUG] Fedora Netinstall

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Sat Feb 10 21:46:34 EST 2018

| From: Bob Jonkman via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| I have a Toshiba Satellite P200 laptop, 3 GHz dual-core CPU, 2 GBytes
| RAM, 200 GByte HD, 4 USB ports, and, most wonderful of all, a 1440x900
| px 17" screen.

What's the processor?  I read a review of a P200 that had a Core Duo
T2350 processor running at 1.867GHz.  The fastest Core Duo T series
runs at 2.33GHz.

|  But now that some packages are no longer
| available in 32-bit architecture (hello, Chrome!) it may be necessary
| to buy a new laptop.

Switch to Firefox?  What other programs are missing?

| Are there any down sides to using a 32-bit machine as a web- or mail
| server? I'm thinking low power consumption, &c. make that an
| attractive alternate use.

Power consumption isn't that low on your notebook.  There have been
some efficiency advances since 2006 when the Core Duo T series were
introduced.

I'm typing this on a three year old netbook with a processor that is
roughly as powerful (but with modern features) and takes a lot less
power (7.5W vs 31W + GPU power).

But that's a minor point.  If you've got the notebook, why not use it
until it dies or something better comes along?