[GTALUG] Fedora Netinstall

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Sat Feb 10 15:44:24 EST 2018

Hugh wrote:
> I would think that most 32-bit only laptops are not really useful
> any longer.

I have a Toshiba Satellite P200 laptop, 3 GHz dual-core CPU, 2 GBytes
RAM, 200 GByte HD, 4 USB ports, and, most wonderful of all, a 1440x900
px 17" screen.

I was disappointed to learn about a week ago when installing Debian
Testing that it only has a 32-bit CPU. I have another P200 that no
longer boots, and I was sure it had a 64-bit CPU.  That one also had
Bluetooth and 6 USB ports, so it was likely a higher sub-model of the
P200.

Such a machine is perfectly adequate for web surfing, e-mail reading,
maintaining other people's websites, and ssh-ing into whatever remote
machine I'm SysAdminning. But now that some packages are no longer
available in 32-bit architecture (hello, Chrome!) it may be necessary
to buy a new laptop.

Are there any down sides to using a 32-bit machine as a web- or mail
server? I'm thinking low power consumption, &c. make that an
attractive alternate use.

Howard wrote:
>> Has anyone else out there played with this? (Netinstall)

Yes, very successfully. I generally prefer doing the netinstall. Using
an .iso to install takes time to copy all the OS files and packages to
the computer, and, unless the .iso is a very recent release, almost
everything you just installed has to be replaced with the first
upgrade you make.  So, might as well do the netinstall and get all the
current stuff the first time.

- --Bob.

On 2018-02-10 10:49 AM, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:
> | From: Howard Gibson via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
>
> |    I have just upgraded my 32-bit laptop to Fedora 27.  The
> install DVD |    is no longer available for 32-bit.  I had to do a
> Netinstall.
>
> Interesting.  What laptop is it?  I would think that most 32-bit
> only laptops are not really useful any longer.

> On 2018-02-09 10:27 PM, Howard Gibson via talk wrote:
>> I have just upgraded my 32-bit laptop to Fedora 27.  The install
>> DVD is no longer available for 32-bit.  I had to do a Netinstall.
>> Netinstall is poorly documented, but the default settings all
>> work, I was able to select the software I wanted, and it has all
>> worked very well.  I think I actually prefer Netinstall to the
>> DVD.
>>
>> Has anyone else out there played with this?
>>
>> I have not yet updated my website notes.

- --