[GTALUG] 'file' maintainer? (or fun with PIE and magic)

Sergio Durigan Junior sergiodj at sergiodj.net
Wed Feb 7 17:18:59 EST 2018

On Wednesday, February 07 2018, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:

> | From: Sergio Durigan Junior via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
>
> | It seems to me that perhaps the graphical UI could rely not only on the
> | MIME type of a file, but also if it is marked as executable or not.
>
> Some filesystems don't have execute permission bits (FAT etc.) and
> Linux pastes the same setting on all the files, based on mount flags
> (if I remember correctly).  So execute permission is not proof that
> the thing is executable.

Ah, right, thanks for complementing I guess purposedly forgot about FAT
;-).  But yeah, my suggestion is a really blind shot coming from someone
who doesn't use graphic file managers, so definitely take it with a
grain of salt.

Cheers,

--
Sergio
GPG key ID: 237A 54B1 0287 28BF 00EF  31F4 D0EB 7628 65FC 5E36