[GTALUG] Linux Journal, RIP

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Sat Feb 3 11:06:05 EST 2018

| From: James Knott via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| I have a Kobo, but stopped using it when I got a tablet.  I have
| different readers installed for epub, Kobo, Amazon and library books.
| The tablet also works with PDFs.

Note for relevance: Kobos run Linux.  So do most tablets (iPads and
Windows tablets do not).

Tablets are better than ereaders for many things.  Where ereaders win:

- much much longer battery life

- much smaller and lighter (mine fit in my pockets)

- much less disruptive of sleep (according to many sources, but it may
  not be true)

I don't actually use tablets much any longer.  My phone has all the
functionality of my tablets except the large screen.  When I want the
large sceen out of my house, I take a laptop (which has many other
advantages and is only a little bit more awkward to drag around).

These thing are very personal.  Everyone in my family makes different
trade-offs.