[GTALUG] Increasing interest in the Go language

David Mason dmason at ryerson.ca
Sat Feb 3 10:28:53 EST 2018

I'd also comment on Rust being an interesting competitor to Go.

Rust has better performance, complete statically determined safety
(enforced by the type system), no garbage collection, minimal runtime, and
an active group targeting WebAssembly (i.e. very high performance browser
programs). It's what you should be programming in if you think you need C.

Go has a simpler type system and good-enough performance for many
applications. It might be what you should be programming in if you need a
higher-performance Python (but with a lot fewer libraries).

They both interop with C and C++; I think Rust has a richer set of
libraries (crates they call them).

I considered both for my comparative programming languages course. I went
with Rust in the end because the other languages I talk about all have
garbage collection, and I wanted the students to see how a sophisticated
type system could give you performance as-good-as or better-than C and C++,
along with safety.

../Dave