[GTALUG] Linux Journal, RIP

Giles Orr gilesorr at gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 16:46:20 EST 2018

On 1 February 2018 at 16:09, David Collier-Brown via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
wrote:

> On 01/02/18 02:55 PM, Kevin Cozens via talk wrote:
>
> On 2018-02-01 07:31 AM, o1bigtenor via talk wrote:
>
> Perhaps instead of letting us know what you, meaning all the individuals
> complaining in this thread, can't stand about what it was  - - - well let
> them know what you do want.
> You never know - - - you just might get lucky!
>

> I doubt it. I prefer the magazine on paper. I spend enough time in front
> of a computer as it is. The last thing I want to do is have to spend more
> time in front of one so I can read a magazine.
>
> Hmmn, I often read PDFs by sending to my Kobo, which has a superior screen
> for text (but not for images)
>
> I wonder if there is a good random-website-to-epub converter? I'll need to
> try dotEPUB.

I'm also very doubtful about technology oriented media outlets that don't
know how to manage SSL/TLS - especially when they expect me to pay them
money through their website:

https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=www.linuxjournal.com

The short version: they commit several crimes, but the worst is not
supporting TLS 1.2 at all.  Since TLS 1.1 and 1.0 are so weak as to be
broken, I'm not going to trust their site.  (I found this out because I
cranked up the security on FF to refuse TLS below 1.2.)

--
Giles
https://www.gilesorr.com/
gilesorr at gmail.com