[GTALUG] Looking for Lighting Talks for January's meeting on Linux Distros!

Christopher Browne cbbrowne at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 20:02:25 EST 2018

I'd like to hear a bit about the "new kid on the block," Alpine Linux.

This is in heavy use by Docker folk; the general idea of it was to
establish a small distribution without a lot of "cruft" that's suitable as
a container OS.

They made some interesting choices:
- Used to use uClibc as its libc, now uses musl, both being smaller and
simpler than glibc
- uses OpenRC as its init system
- well, of course, they created their own package management system...
- has some supposed hardening of the kernel
- I find it interesting that a Linux kernel is around 3MB in size, but
there are something like 130MB of kernel modules, which seems a bit
ridiculous

Threat or offer ;-) is that I could prep a bit of material about Alpine,
covering what I was interested in discovering; if someone has experience
with it, that would be better than whatever I'd blather about ;-)