[GTALUG] Linux on ppc64 (G5) - distro support

Stewart Russell scruss at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 15:09:33 EST 2018

On Thu, Dec 6, 2018, 13:19 Mike <el.fontanero at gmail.com wrote:

> Jessie even manages power and those prodigious fans just nicely.

That's good to know. Both my G5s needed PRAM resets (Option-Command-P-R,
which is quite special to manage with one hand), SMU resets (the tiny tact
switch below the SIMMs) and a battery check. Just as well the older G5
didn't need a new PRAM battery: they use those infernal 1/2 AA 3.6 V cells
that Macs since the Classic have used. Hard to find and expensive (Sayal
has em for $10).

Before all this, I got no display, no boot and cleared-for-takeoff fan
noise.

 Stewart