[GTALUG] Linux on ppc64 (G5) - distro support

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Thu Dec 6 10:54:59 EST 2018

On Thu, Dec 06, 2018 at 10:33:11AM -0500, Stewart Russell via talk wrote:
> Hey - so I picked up a couple of very pretty but backbreakingly-heavy Apple
> G5s - one dual-core, the other dual-processor single core. I know these are
> old machines (2005) and vastly inefficient compared to modern machines:
> there are faster ARM SBCs. G5s make amazing room heaters when they are
> busy.
>
> Distro support seems to have completely dropped away for these  machines.
> ppc64el is alive and well on IBM servers, but PowerMacs are big-endian.
>
> Anyone using ppc64 here? What distro would you recommend? Debian used to
> have ppc64 support, but its last release is in LTS with no future releases
> planned.

Debian had powerpc (32 bit user space but had 64 bit kernels).  ppc64 (64
bit user space) has never been released as far as I remember.

Debian still has it on ports.debian.org though and there are still people
working on maintaining it.  Both powerpc and ppc64 are on ports.debian.org.

--
Len Sorensen