[GTALUG] Linux on ppc64 (G5) - distro support

Stewart Russell scruss at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 10:33:11 EST 2018

Hey - so I picked up a couple of very pretty but backbreakingly-heavy Apple
G5s - one dual-core, the other dual-processor single core. I know these are
old machines (2005) and vastly inefficient compared to modern machines:
there are faster ARM SBCs. G5s make amazing room heaters when they are
busy.

Distro support seems to have completely dropped away for these  machines.
ppc64el is alive and well on IBM servers, but PowerMacs are big-endian.

Anyone using ppc64 here? What distro would you recommend? Debian used to
have ppc64 support, but its last release is in LTS with no future releases
planned.

Cheers
 Stewart