[GTALUG] Ubuntu -- Disabling Ping

Howard Gibson hgibson at eol.ca
Thu Aug 30 12:13:23 EDT 2018

On Thu, 30 Aug 2018 12:04:34 -0400
Alvin Starr via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> There are other ICMP messages that can be used for probing like
> timestamp(msg-13).
> All around all disabling ping does for you is to make it harder for your
> ISP or IT support people to see if you are having network problems and
> the really really stupid script kiddies trying to probe you.

Alvin,

   I am my ISP and IT support person.  My Fedora laptop cannot be
remotely administered.  I am inconvenienced by this.  If I want to do
something with it, I have to get up and walk to where I have it
stored.  From the laptop, I can administer my desktop, because I have
ssh set up.  My desktop stays behind my firewall.  My laptop gets
exposed.

   I have been on a commercial site where the Windows laptops were
administered remotely, from somewhere in the USA, I think.  I don't
know how secure they were.  The company did not have particularly nasty
security requirements, i.e. they were not managing people's personal
data, or military secrets.

--
Howard Gibson
hgibson at eol.ca