[GTALUG] Ubuntu -- Disabling Ping

James Knott james.knott at jknott.net
Thu Aug 30 12:10:08 EDT 2018

On 08/30/2018 12:04 PM, Howard Gibson wrote:
>> Also, relying on NAT for security is a bad idea.  It does nothing that a
>> properly configured firewall can't do.
> James,
>
>   My regular laptop is a home computer that sits behind a commerical
> router most (not all) of the time.  My Ubuntu machine is a generic
> computer that could be taken to a coffee shop or more likely a bar, or it
> may be plugged directly into a DSL or cable modem.  I am writing up my
> instructions on the assumption that the person following them is not a
> computer expert.

How much security do you think you'll get in that coffee shop?  I also
have a notebook computer that has a firewall running, even when on my
home network, behind a firewall.

Disabling ping provides nothing more than a false sense of security.
Getting back to the physical example, it amounts to nothing more than
removing the house numbers from your home.  The house is still there and
can be found by other means.