[GTALUG] Ubuntu -- Disabling Ping

Howard Gibson hgibson at eol.ca
Thu Aug 30 12:04:13 EDT 2018

On Thu, 30 Aug 2018 11:46:42 -0400
James Knott via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> Also, IPv6 is now being used by many and NAT is discouraged on it.  This
> means that, for example, Rogers customers will have public IPv6
> addresses.  However, given that they have a minimum of 18.4 billion,
> billion addresses to choose from, they're a bit harder to find.
>
> > Many people do think that depending solely on a firewall for network
> > security is a bad model.  "Crunchy on the outside, soft on the
> > inside."  Every node should be hardened.  But what are you going to do
> > to harden you IoT devices (light bulbs, fridges, settop boxes,
> > thermostats, watches, ....)?
> >
> Also, relying on NAT for security is a bad idea.  It does nothing that a
> properly configured firewall can't do.

James,

  My regular laptop is a home computer that sits behind a commerical
router most (not all) of the time.  My Ubuntu machine is a generic
computer that could be taken to a coffee shop or more likely a bar, or it
may be plugged directly into a DSL or cable modem.  I am writing up my
instructions on the assumption that the person following them is not a
computer expert.

--
Howard Gibson
hgibson at eol.ca