[GTALUG] Ubuntu -- Disabling Ping

Scott Allen mlxxxp at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 11:45:17 EDT 2018

On Thu, 30 Aug 2018 at 11:17, Alvin Starr via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
> I know someone is at 1234 Bloor St. but that does not help much with
> breaking in.

But what if you *don't* know someone lives at 1234 Bloor St. (and most
of the residences on Bloor St. are vacant)? Breaking into one that's
vacant (equivalent to blindly attacking a non-existent machine) is a
worthless waste of time. If you knock on one of the doors (ping), you
may get an answer, telling you that breaking into that residence at a
later time may be of some value, thus worth more effort.

I'm not saying that ignoring pings is of much benefit, but this is a
better analogy.

--
Scott