[GTALUG] Ubuntu -- Disabling Ping

o1bigtenor o1bigtenor at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 06:11:07 EDT 2018

On Wed, Aug 29, 2018 at 10:58 PM, Howard Gibson via talk
<talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Aug 2018 22:03:52 -0400
> Alvin Starr via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
>> you could also do the following:
>>
>> sudo sysctl net.ipv4.icmp_echo_ignore_all=1
>
> Alvin,
>
>    That's it.  I saw instructions on the internet to update /etc/sysctl.conf, but they did it wrong.  Your command line works!
>
>    Thank you.
>
>    I will be updating my website to show easy install methods for Ubuntu and Fedora.

Greetings

I have ping disabled directly on my router so none of the machines
behind it can be accessed from outside.

Why wouldn't you do it there?

A possible answer is that you are using the laptop truly mobile but
that would be the only need for such a mod imo.
For those that 'know' is there any other scenario where you might want
to disable ping access on a machine basis?

Regards

Dee